The end of a long week is finally here, and you’re leaving for a week long vacation tomorrow at noon! YAY! Oh wait, you have to plan a weeks worth of clothes, and somehow manage to fit it all in one suitcase. Literally how? Packing is the worst! What if you’re going away with your boyfriend and sharing a suitcase? This new reality hit me last year, and I had no idea how to handle it. Does that mean I can’t completely overpack and fill my suitcase to the point of bursting zippers? I know, I know. I don’t even wear half the things I pack, but I like to have options!
Deep breaths ladies. It is actually possible, it just takes a little extra planning and thinking ahead. You need to start with a checklist of everything you need; the essentials. (Don’t go into too much unnecessary detail. Instead of listing every beauty product, just have a check box for: shower stuff, hair stuff, makeup, etc.). Rather than just throwing a bunch of random tank tops and pairs of shorts, actually plan outfits. The thought of planning outfits a week in advance used to give me anxiety. The result of this extra planning step? Cuter outfits while vacationing! I had the time to think about what matches and coordinate jewelry (Mom would be so proud).
Not only did I master splitting of a normal sized suitcase – I even upped the ante. A little over a year ago, a friend and I traveled to Thailand for 16 days. She told me I couldn’t bring any bags with wheels! I was to be completely and easily portable. My only option? A backpack. Honestly, I didn’t think I could do it. But with my advanced planning, some easy packing techniques and luck – I fit everything I wanted into said backpack!
Some easy packing techniques:
- Roll everything! Seriously – roll your shorts, dresses, everything
- Stuff small things (socks, bikini’s, undergarments) into your sneakers. Who cares if these get a little wrinkled?
- Don’t just pack things because you feel like you “might” need them. Do you really need wedges if you’re backing somewhere? Put them back in the closet…
- Utilize every single pocket/pound available on your bag
- Travel size products only!
- Wear your bulkiest items (sneakers and hoodies)